Let's be honest here, sometimes we feel like eating BREAD! Okay, I'll leave you out of this and correct the previous sentence...Sometimes I feel like eating BREAD! More than that, sometimes I feel like going to a fast food bar and ask for a big sandwich filled with lots of fresh, crunchy, creamy, tasty and nutritious stuff.
I know there are some places where you can eat a healthy sandwich stuffed with lots of great nutritious food (praise them!!!). But today I was really hungry and with no time left to go out and search of a place like that, so I had to make the best of out I had in the fridge and make the best sandwich I could.
But before assembling the sandwich my so much desired sandwich, I had to prepare the perfect bread for it...
I’ve been with this chapati bread in my head for a long time. The perfect combination of hunger with the desire to eat a great sandwich made it happen! A delicious oat chapati bread, so easy and quick to prepare.
To make this flat bread even more interesting, I added some Organic Sunflower Seeds and some golden flax seeds, but some spices or fresh herbs would have been great too ...
And after the bread making and preparing all the veggies, it's time to assemble my sandwich. "All included plus extras, please!"
And to make even more real, nothing better than a toothpick with a cute message to hold the all the freshness that stubbornly overflows from inside the sandwich...
And now, it’s time to eat it! I think this will keep my desire for healthy fast food under control for a while...But the oat chapati bread, I can assure you it will be around quite often.
Oat Chapati Bread
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy
Cost: ~ € 1.30 (in Portugal)
Nutritional information (per bread): 243 kcal, 10.3 g protein, 31.0 g carbohydrate, 6.3 g fat, 6.7 g fiber
To make chapati bread:
1 + 1/2 cups of Organic Gluten Free Rolled Oats (~ 150 g)
1 tbsp Organic Sunflower Seeds (optional)
1 tbsp Flax Seed soup (optional)
1 cup Water (~250 ml)
1 pinch of Sea Salt, to taste
To make the sandwich, as in the image:
1/2 Avocado, sliced
1 Tomato, sliced
2 tbsp Corn (fresh or canned)
1 small Carrot, shredded
1 leave Red Cabbage, julienned
1 handful Arugula, to taste
To make the chapati bread:
1. Place oats in the food processor and process for 1-2 minutes to form a coarse flour. Transfer to a bowl.
2. Add in the seeds and salt and stir to combine.
3. Add water and mix well to form a batter that is slightly thicker than regular pancake batter.
4. Place a non-stick frying pan over medium heat and add 1/3 of the batter, spreading quickly with the back of a spoon forming a circle with 4.7 in/12 cm in diameter and 0.25 in/0.5 cm thick. Let it cook for about 5 minutes on medium heat until it begins to become golden.
5. Flip the bread over and cook the other side for an additional 5-7 minutes, or until it turns golden on both sides. Transfer to a cooling rack and repeat the process with the rest f the batter.
To make the sandwich:
- When the bread is cool, cut each circle into two parts (I find it easier to cut before assembling the sandwich...). In one of the halves, add the desired stuffing ingredients beginning and ending with the avocado to give some creaminess to the sandwich. Cover with the other half, hold with a toothpick inserted crosswise and serve immediately.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Anyone Do you find there are enough offer of healthy/vegan-friendly fast food places where you live? Comment below!
Ler esta receita em Português