How good it feels to be back to recipe sharing!
Among all the tasks that a one-month baby requires (breastfeeding, change the diaper, pick up the pacifier, rocking him, Breastfeed again, change another diaper, etc, etc ...) Î manage to take some time to go to the kitchen and prepare these pancakes that I had in my mind for so long…
This recipe is great for you breastfeeding moms like me. Oats are an excellent food because it is rich in fiber and it seems to stimulate milk production. Carrots, besides giving a very nice flavor to the pancakes, are also very rich in vitamin A and carotene.
It seems that the carrot flavor passes to breast milk and it can help the acceptance of carrots by the child when he/she starts to eat. (I'm already picturing him munching in the carrots during school breaks...)
Benefits for breastfeeding aside, these pancakes are delicious, healthy and a good snack for anyone!
Carrot Oat Pancakes
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy
Cost: ~ € 2.50 (in Portugal)
Nutritional Information (per Pancake): 130 Kcal, 4 g protein, 25 g carbs, 2 g fat, 3.3 g fiber
1 + 1/2 cups of Oats (~ 180 g) (use certified gluten-free Oats for a gluten-free version)
1 + 1/2 cups of Oat Milk (or other plant-based milk)
1/2 heaping cup of grated Carrot (approx. 2 small carrots, ~ 100 g)
2 tbsp Agave nectar (or other natural sweetener)
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
Zest of 1/2 Lemon
For garnish (optional):
1. Place oats in the food processor or coffee mill and process for a few minutes until you get a fine flour. Transfer to a large bowl. Alternatively use may use ready-to-use oat flour.
2. Add in the grated carrot, baking powder, lemon zest and cinnamon. Whisk well.
3. Add in the oat milk and agave nectar and stir well with to form a homogeneous dough.
4. Place a nonstick skillet over low heat and when it gets hot add in two to three tablespoons of dough.
5. Heat a non-sticky pan over low heat. When hot, scoop two to three heaping tbsp of the batter and spread it into a circle using the back of your spoon. Let it cook for about 2-3 minutes and flip it with the help of a spatula. Cook the other side for about 2-3 minutes. Repeat the process with the rest of the batter.
5. Garnish the pancakes with the desired toppings and serve.
I hope you enjoy it!