This morning, while I was trying to decide what to prepare for breakfast, I heard on the radio that today was Cake Day!
What a bummer...I was really (not) in the mood for some cake...
As I like to start the day with nourishing food, I included in the cake a handful of spinach, so I could reduce my sins...
This cake is very easy to prepare and it turns out moist and delicious. The cacao layer reminds me the classic Petits Gateaux and the spinach layer, besides its green color, it really tastes like cake and there's no trace of spinach flavor in it. With a scoop of plant-based yogurt, some pomegranate rubies and some Just GRANOLA - Cacau & Banana to garnish, you get a fancy-looking dessert in only 5 minutes...
So next time you need to come up with a last minute dessert or you want to prepare a special breakfast here's an idea you could use!...
Cacao & Spinach Mug Cake
Preparation Time: 3 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy
Cost: ~2,30 € (in Portugal)
Nutritional Information (per cake): 276 Kcal, 9.3 g protein, 54 g carbs, 4.7 g fat
3/4 cups Oats (~90 g, or Oat Flour)
4 tbsp Unrefined Coconut Sugar (~40 g)
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp Almond Milk (or any other plant-based milk)
1 tsp Baking Powder (baking soda works too)
2 tbsp Pure Cacao Powder
1 handful fresh Spinach
1/2 Plant-based Yogurt (I used Natural Soy Yogurt from Alpro)
1/4 small Pomegranate
4 tbsp Just GRANOLA - Cacau & Banana (organic vegan granola)
1. Place oats into the food processor and process until a fine flour is formed. Alternatively use ready-to-use oat flour.
2. Add the coconut sugar, the baking powder and the 1/2 cup of almond milk into the food processor and process until it forms a homogeneous batter. Transfer about 3 heaping spoons of the batter to a small mixing bowl.
3. Add the remaining 2 tbsp of almond milk to the batter in the bowl as well as the cacao powder and mix to combine. Divide the batter into two mugs. Reserve.
4. Add the spinach leaves to the batter in the food processor and process until a homogeneous batter is formed. Divide this batter by both mugs, pouring it over the cacao batter in the mugs.
5. Bake each mug cake in the microwave separately for 1'30-2 minutes. Unmold the cakes and garnish them as desired. Enjoy!
I hope you like this recipe. Happy Cake Day!