Today's recipe is another one dedicated to the chocolate lovers.
This is another very easy to make chocolate recipe with a nice fragrant touch from the orange zest and extra creaminess thanks to the avocado.
Another one that will be for sure on Christmas table...
This chocolate reminds me of a Portuguese chocolate brand that had fruit-flavor chocolates and that I used to eat a lot when I was a child. Those fruit-flavored chocolates definitely marked my childhood and of many of us growing up on the 70's and 80's here in Portugal.
Those classic chocolates are still available here but obviously are no longer an option for me. However, they definitely inspired me to create a healthier but still flavorful version of them.
The cashews are optional and you can omit them for a nut-free chocolate. The avocado is also optional but it really adds a velvety touch to the chocolate.
When this Christmas comes, I'll be rolling around... :-/
Avocado Cashew Orange Zest Chocolate
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy
Cost: ~4,30 € (in Portugal)
Nutritional Information (per square): 129 Kcal, 1.5 g protein, 10.7 g carbs, 10.5 g fat
1/2 cup Raw Cacao Powder (~55 g)
1/3 cup Coconut Oil (~55 g)
1/4 cup Agave Nectar (or any other natural sweetener)
1/4 cup (barely full) Raw Cashews (~25 g, sliced into halves) (optional)
1/2 ripe Avocado
1-2 tbsp Orange Juice
Zest from 1 Orange (prefer organic)
1. Melt the coconut oil at low temperature (for instance using a mild bain-marie).
2. When the oil is melt, remove the oil from the bain-marie and stir in the agave nectar.
3. Add in the cacao powder and stir well to incorporate. It turns into a semi-solid paste.
4. Add in the orange juice and stir to combine.
5. Place the flesh of half avocado into the food processor and process to turn into puree. Add it to the previous mixture and stir to combine.
6. Transfer it into a flat rectangular/squared container lined with parchment paper (I used the lid of a tupperware with ~5 in x 7 in and 1 in dept). Spread it using a spoon or spatula.
4. Garnish the surface of the chocolate with the cashew halves and the orange zest Place it in the freezer to solidify (about 30-45 minutes).
5. Remove from the freezer, slice the chocolate into squares and serve. Keep left overs, if any, in the fridge.
I hope you enjoy this chocolate. Do you have any chocolate brand that has also marked your childhood?