So you might be thinking that I'm a cruel and mean person because I prepared my husband a cake for his birthday with something he doesn't like. Au contraire! I hided the beetroot in there, very well covered with the right amount of cacao, brown sugar and vanilla powder. This cake is a taste bud education tool. He's being educated to like beetroot without even knowing it, so he can enjoy it just as it is in the future. The more you eat something the more you crave it, that's the secret!
Beetroot Chocolate Cake
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins.
Baking time: 25 mins.
Skill level: Easy
2 medium-small Beetroots, peeled and boiled
4 tbsp Golden Flax Seeds, whole
12 tbsp Water
1/4 cup Coconut Oil, melted
1 cup Brown Sugar (~200 g)
1/2 cup All-purpose Flour (~75 g)
1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour (~70 g)
1/2 cup Cacao Powder (~70 g)
1 tsp Vanilla Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
Pinch of Sea Salt
Method of Preparation:
1. Peal beetroots and quarter them. Place chunks into a small pan, cover with water and boil until tender over medium-low heat (approximately 20 minutes). (Water can be recovered and used to prepare smoothies).
2. Place baked beetroot into the blender or food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Reserve.
3. Place 4 tbsp of golden flax seeds into a small bowl or cup and add 12 tbsp of cold water. Give it a stir and let it thicken for 15 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 375 F (190 ºC) and prepare a baking tin, greased with coconut oil and floured. I used a 5 in x 9 in pan (~12 cm x 22 cm).
5. In a big mixing bowl, combine brown sugar with melted coconut oil.
6. Add in beetroot pure and thickened flax seeds. Stir well to combine.
7. Add in. little by little, all the dry ingredients (flours, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla powder and a pinch of salt), while mixing gently to incorporate.
8. Pour batter into the prepared pan and place in the oven. Cook of about 25 minutes. Test a toothpick or a spaghetti that must come out clean but moist. Let it cool down completely before unmolding it and slicing it. Serve and enjoy!
I hope you like this recipe. Please let me know if you try it. I'd love to hear from you! How do you feel about beetroots in chocolate cakes?