A few days ago one friend of mine challenged me to create a vegan version of the traditional Cats' Tongue Biscuits.
I didn't think twice before accepting the challenge, not only because I love challenges and I definitely couldn't say no to create a vegan recipe for my friend who, not being vegan, is willing to try a vegan version of one of her favorite sweet treats, but also because I used to love Cats' Tongue Biscuits and I immediately started to dream about having those delicious biscuits back in the house...
Cats' Tongue Biscuits had always been one of those addicting sweet treats, the kind that when I started eating I could only stop when the pack was empty...
These ones are like that too, dangerously delicious...
And besides the fact that they are made with coconut sugar and coconut oil instead of refined sugar and butter as the traditional recipe, they are still quite caloric and rich in fat. They are an healthy treat, but not healthy enough to be eating everyday in big amounts (like I just did...).
Even though, they are so worthy a try and they are perfect for when you're looking for a sweet and crunchy biscuit that is not too bad for you and doesn't involve animal pain.
And the cat ate them all...
Cats' Tongue Biscuits
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy
Cost: ~3,90 € (in Portugal)
Nutritional Information (per 1/4 cup): 232 Kcal, 3.25 g protein, 24.2 g carbs, 14.6 g fat
1 cup Oats (~100 g, or Oat Flour)
1/4 cup Unrefined Coconut Sugar (~75 g)
1/4 cup Unrefined Coconut Oil, melted (~75 g)
2 tbsp Ground Flax (thickened in 6 tbsp water ~15 min.)
1/4 tsp Vanilla Powder
Zest from 1 Lemon (prefer organic)
1. Place ground flax in a small bowl and add the water. Give it a stir to combine and let it thicken for about 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, place the oats into the food processor or coffee grinder and reduce to a fine flour. Alternatively, use ready-to-use oat flour. Reserve.
3. Pre-heat the oven to 360 F/180 ºC and prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. Using a medium mixing bowl, combine coconut sugar and melted coconut oil and stir well to form a cream.
5. Add in the thickened flax and stir again to combine.
6. Add in the oat flour and stir well to combine.
7. Add in the lemon zest and the vanilla powder and stir again to incorporate. Transfer the dough into a pastry bag with a flat tip. Form the Cats' Tongue Biscuits over the lined baking sheet by making two flat circles of dough side by side, touching each other (like in the photo). They won't raise much so you can place them near each other. Place in the oven for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Remove from the oven and let the biscuits to cool down for about 10 minutes in the baking sheet. They come out of the oven quite soft but they will harden up as they cool down. Once completely cool, save them in a air-tight container so they keep their crunchiness (if they are not gone meanwhile, as happened here at home...).
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Please share it with someone special!