Halloween is coming! Uhuhuhuahahahahahah....(This was me trying to have a scary laugh...)
Here in Portugal we don't have a strong Halloween tradition. Actually, only for the last few years Halloween started to pop up. But last year I had the opportunity to experience a real american Halloween in Austin, Texas, and let me tell you my friends, it was CRAZY!...
Dear american fellows, you really take things to an upper level when it comes to Halloween! I was really overwhelmed by the amount and detail of the decorations and costumes. The houses, streets, foods, children and grown-ups: everything takes part on this celebration.
It is crazy!
Halloween is arriving to Portugal, which is great because it's an extra opportunity to have fun and to celebrate with friends. But honestly, I hope it doesn't get to the proportions you have it there (no offense). I don't want to generalize (I only experienced it once in one american city) but I found it a little bit too much, with all the resources that it takes to decorate and dress up to the detail I saw there and the amount of candies children get to eat on those days...
But even if the Halloween gets crazy around here, we can always celebrate it in an environmental-friendly and healthy way, by making our own costumes and decorations using recycled materials and by preparing our own healthy Halloween treats. At least, you inspired me to create some Halloween special treats!
Here's an Halloween treat suggestion that I hope you enjoy!
Note: without the "Halloweeny" decoration, the base of these treats makes terrific cacao energy bites, great for a regular day snack.
Halloween Special: Spooky Ghosts & Crazy Pumpkins
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy
Cost: ~7.15 € (in Portugal)
Nutritional Information (per treat): 118 Kcal, 3.7 g protein, 14.7 g carbs, 6.6 g fat
2/3 cup Raw Cashews (~100 g) (or any other nut)
1/3 cup Pumpkin Seeds (~50 g)
1 cup Dates (~160 g)
1/4 cup Raw Cacao Powder (~24 g)
2 tbsp Raw Cacao Nibs (~15 g)
1/2 tsp Vanilla Powder
2 tbsp (30 ml) Water
For the Ghosts's Cover:
1/4 cup Raw Cashews, soaked in water for at least 1 hour
1/4 cup Water
1/4 tsp Vanilla Powder
For the Pumpkins' Cover:
1/4 Persimmon, blended
1 tsp from the previous Cashew Cream (optional)
1. Place cashews and pumpkin seeds into the food processor and pulse to reduce, without over processing it.
2. Add in the cacao powder and vanilla and pulse to incorporate.
3. Add pitted and roughly chopped dates and process until it forms a paste that detaches from the sides of the food processor.
4. Add in the cacao nibs and pulse to incorporate.
5. Roll the paste between your hands into balls and little ghosts.
To make the Ghosts' Cover:
1. Soak cashews in water for at least on hour.
2. Drain the cashews well and place them into the food processor along with the water. Process until it turns into a homogeneous cream.
3. Add in the vanilla powder and pulse to incorporate. Refrigerate for 15 minutes to make it thicker.
To make the Pumpkins' Cover:
1. Place 1/4 on a persimmon into the food processor (you can use the peel if you like) and blend.
2. Add in a little bit of the precious cream to taste (perhaps about 1 tsp) to make it thicker, if desired.
3. Refrigerate for 15 minutes to make it thicker.
To finish the treats:
1. Stick a wooden skewer into each treat and roll them over the prepared creams.
2. Decorate with cacao nibs to make the eyes and mouths of ghost and pumkins, if desired. Enjoy and have fun!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Do you have plans for Halloween?