Vegan Shortbread Cookies
Prep time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Skill level: Easy
3/4 Brown Sugar
2 1/4 cups All-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour mixture)
1 cup Coconut Oil, melted
1 small Banana, mashed
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/8 tsp Sea Salt
Method of Preparation:
1. In a medium mixing bowl, mix together sugar and melted coconut oil until the sugar is uniformly wet.
2. Mash a small banana with a fork and pour it over the sugar. Stir well to combine.
3. Add in vanilla extract and sea salt and stir to incorporate.
4. Add flour, little by little, and mix vigorously to incorporate. The dough gets harder and harder to stir and starts to detach from the bowl.
5. Place dough over a parchment paper sheet with approximately 12 in x 8 in (~30 cm x 20 cm) and roll into a log with about 2 in (5 cm) of diameter. Place it in the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up.
6. Meanwhile, pre-heat oven to 350 F.
7. Remove dough from freezer and unroll it on a clean bench. Using a sharp knife, slice the dough into cookies (1/4 in, ~0.6 cm thickness) and place them over a baking sheet covered with parchment paper (you can use the same paper sheet you used to roll up the dough). The cookies don't grow much so you can line them just 1/4 in apart from each other.
8. Bake the cookies in the pre-heated oven for about 30 minutes, until they are nicely golden brown and crispy. Let them cool down completely to room temperature and enjoy!
I hope you like this recipe. Please let me know if you try it. I would love to hear from you!