Mothers, aunts, godmothers, daughters, sons, etc., let’s celebrate this coming Mother's Day as the day of unconditional love, that kind of love that lasts forever, that resists time, that is resentment-proof.
Take a little bit of your day to give your mothers a kiss and a hug, the blood mother and all the others that, without having carried you in their womb, they are also your mothers as they helped you become the great person you are today.
Sit down at the table, share stories and cuddles, tears and smiles, memories and future projects. Drink tea, eat one of these mini pies and celebrate Mother's Day.
This recipe was inspired by a recipe I saw on YouTube on JessBeautician's channel. She has great videos with healthy and really appetizing recipes. The original recipe was for some Strawberry Jam Crumble Slices, which I decided to adapt to these Mini Pies, with some alterations.
Don’t feel daunted by the list of ingredients (which may seem a bit longer than what I usually use) for these mini pies. They are actually very simple to make and very versatile. Instead of Mini Pies, you can prepare a crumble on a deep dish or a larger full-size pie, or even some slices as Jesse suggests on her video.
You can also prepare double or triple the amount of the strawberry filling for this recipe, keep the leftover in the fridge and use it as a regular fruit jam, spread over bread for instance. As it is made with coconut sugar and chia seeds, it is a healthier alternative to the traditional jams.
The almonds in the crumble are optional, but if you’re a toasted almond fan (like me), they are highly recommended, as they give it a special texture and flavor...You can also replace them with other nuts to your taste or even some seeds or extra oats.
Mother's Day Special: Strawberry Crumble Mini Pies
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy
Cost: ~ € 2.45 (in Portugal)
Nutritional information (per Mini Pie): 195 kcal, 5.6 g protein, 23.0 g carbohydrate, 7.7 g fat, 4.6 g fiber
For the base:
1 + 3/4 cups of Organic Gluten-free Rolled Oats (~ 190 g)
2 tbsp Coconut Oil (~ 25g)
2 tbsp Agave Nectar (30 ml, or other natural sweetener)
1 tbsp ground golden flax, thickened in 2+1/2 tbsp of water for 15 minutes
2 tbsp Oat Milk (30 ml, or other plant-based milk)
1 tsp ground Cinnamon
For the strawberry filling:
1 heaped cup of Strawberries (~ 170 g, save 2 whole strawberries)
1 + 1/2 tbsp of Coconut Sugar (or other unrefined sugar)
1 tbsp of Chia seeds
2 tbsp Water
The seeds from 1/3 of a vanilla pod (or extract or essence)
For the crumble:
About 1/4 of the base dough
1 tbsp Coconut Sugar (or other unrefined sugar)
1/4 cup of Almonds with peel (or other any other nut or seed)
To make base:
1. Place ground flax in a small bowl or cup, add in the water and give it a stir. Let it thicken for about 15 minutes.
2. Place 1 cup (~ 110 g) of the Organic Gluten-free Rolled Oats into the food processor, reserving the remaining 3/4 cup, and process for a few minutes until you get a flour. Transfer to a bowl.
3. Add the remaining whole rolled oats, cinnamon, agave and slightly softened coconut oil. Mix well.
4. Add in the thickened flax and the oat milk and stir again to incorporate.
5. Line 8 mini pie or muffin tins with a piece of parchment paper. Line the bottom and sides of each tin with about 2 tbsp of the prepared dough, pressing with fingertips. By the end, you should be left with about 1/4 of the dough to make the crumble. Place the tins in the fridge while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
To make the strawberry filling:
1. Remove the stems from strawberries and cut them into pieces, reserving about 2 whole strawberries for later. Place the pieces in a small pot.
2. Add in the coconut sugar and water and bring to a boil over low heat. When it starts boiling add in the chia seeds and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. When the strawberry jam has thickened and the strawberries have almost dissolved and disappeared, remove from heat and add in the vanilla seeds.
4. Pour the filling over the mini pies (about 1-1+1/2 tbsp in each pie) and decorate with a slice of the reserved whole strawberry (optional).
To make the crumble:
1. Preheat the oven to 180 ° C.
2. Add sliced almonds and coconut sugar to the remaining base dough. Stir to combine.
3. Distribute the crumble over the mini pies, covering the filling. Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until the crumble is golden and crispy.
4. Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature. Unmold gently pulling by the parchment paper (they should come out easily). Serve warm or cold. Keep leftovers in fridge.
I hope you enjoy this recipe. A sweet Mother's Day to all!
Ler esta receita em Portugês