One of my strategies to have a 100% vegan healthy dinner at my table once in a while is to prepare veggie burgers.
Usually, we have two menus here at home: mine (vegan, beautiful and colorful, radiating health) and J’s (no color, no shine, with processed and undesirable products...). Sometimes it is though, laborious and tiring, and it breaks my heart knowing that he’s still eating animal products, but it is all part of our commitment of mutual respect.
But despite his picky palate, there are some vegan dishes he really enjoys. And anything that has the word "burger" in the name is usually infallible!
And these Falafel Burgers are really delicious and so easy to prepare. Chickpeas are the base, which are an excellent source of protein, and a few sprinkles here and there to give texture and flavor.
This time I made them with whole wheat flour but other flours also work. Replace it by a gluten-free flour if needed. Adjust the amount of flour to the texture of your burgers: when molding them, they should not stick too much to your hands. If they are too sticky, add a little more flour.
And for the healthier version (without any added fat), just toss them into the oven. Alternatively, you can also fry them in a drizzle of olive oil or other vegetable oil.
Crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside...Perfect! And a fresh garlic & herbs sauce really gives them that special touch!
Falafel Burgers (Vegan, No added oils)
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy
Cost: ~ € 2.80 (in Portugal)
Nutritional Information (per burger): 73 kcal, 3.4 g protein, 8.7 g carbohydrates 1.9 g fat, 2.9 g fiber
425 g of cooked Chickpeas (equivalent to approximately 1 15 oz can, drained)
1/3 cup of Whole Wheat Flour (~ 40 g, replace by gluten-free flour, if needed)
2 tbsp White Sesame Seeds (optional)
1 handful of fresh Parsley (~ 20 g)
2 cloves Garlic
1 small Onion
Juice from 1 Lemon
1+1/2 tsp ground Cumin
1 pinch of Sea Salt, to taste (optional)
1 pinch Black Pepper, to taste (optional)
1. Place the parsley, garlic cloves, onion and lemon juice in the food processor and process until finely chopped.
2. Add the chickpeas, well drained, and pulse a few times to reduce to a paste with some whole pieces in it, to give more texture. Transfer to a bowl.
3. Add in the sesame seeds, cumin and flour. Stir well to incorporate. Correct seasoning with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. Prepare a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Shape the burgers with your hands using about two tablespoons of the dough for each. If the dough is too sticky add a little more flour.
5. Place the burgers in the fridge for about 15 minutes to become firmer before baking.
6. Preheat the oven to 390 F/ 200 ºC. Remove the burgers from the fridge and put them in the oven for about 30-35 minutes, turning once halfway through.
7. Remove from the oven and serve hot or cold, garnished with garlic & herbs sauce if desired.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Do you also have more than one menu at your table or do you all eat the same? Comment below!
Ler esta receita em Português