Today I bring to you a recipe that I find very easy and likable, ideal to introduce more veggies in your plate or in the plate of the picky eaters you have at home. I do stir fries very often for J because he really enjoys them.
Stir fries are that kind of dishes that you literally can toss whatever you have in the fridge and you'll be just fine. Today I used my beloved fava beans with red and bok choi cabbage and carrots, mostly because I like their crunchiness and the contrast of colors they create in the dish.
I have this superpower of enjoying my veggies cooked in a very simple and plain way. When I do stir fries for myself I use water and lemon juice instead of oil and salt. Well, I don't think it's really superpower...I believe it's more our natural way of enjoying food, something that we lost after all the condiments, additives, salt and oil that we always put in our food. Since I've been eating "clean" for almost two years (meaning no oil, no salt, very few spices), my taste buds are now used to enjoy food as it is. It actually taste better for me without any salt or oil!
But since I know that it takes some time to get used to it and I really want other people to enjoy my veggie dishes, I still use oil, salt and spices to cook for others. If you're really interested in "cleaning" your taste buds believe me that it's possible and a quite simple process. You just need to remove those condiments from your food and in a snap you'll be having a superior taste sense.
Fava Bean & Cabbage Stir Fry
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Skill level: Easy
3 cups Fava Beans (~400 g)
1 cup Red Cabbage, sliced (about 3 leaves)
1 cup Bok Choi Cabbage, sliced (about 3 leaves)
1 cup Carrots, slices (about 2 medium)
1 small Onion, chopped
1 clove Garlic, minced
1 tbsp fresh minced Ginger
1 tbsp Olive Oil (optional, you can use a splash of water instead)
1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar (optional)
1 tbsp Coconut Sugar (or Brown Sugar, optional)
Pinch of Sea Salt (optional, you can use lemon juice instead)
Pinch of Black Pepper
1 tbsp Water
Method of Preparation:
1. Fill 3/4 of a medium saucepan with water and bring it to a boil over medium heat. Prepare a bowl with ice-cold water and set aside.
2. Add in fava beans to the boiling water and let them boil for 3 minutes. Drain them and transfer them to the cold water. Let them chill for about 5 minutes and remove their skin.
3. Add olive oil to a large skillet and heat it over medium heat. Add in chopped onion and let it fry until translucent (about 5 minutes).
4. Reduce heat to medium-low and add in the garlic and ginger. Stir-fry for another minute.
5. Add in sliced cabbages and carrots, toss to coat in oil and let it cook for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Pour in a tbsp of water and toss. This helps the cabbage to get steam and get softer.
7. Add in peeled fava beans and stir. Let it fry for another minute.
8. Pour in the balsamic vinegar and coconut sugar. Stir to coat the veggies and let it cook for another minute.
9. Season to taste with salt and pepper, remove from heat and serve.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Please let me know you are getting tired of my fava bean dishes! I promise I'll stop using them when season ends...