Fava Bean & Cilantro Mash
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Skill level: Easy
1 lb (~450 g) Fava Beans (prefer fresh)
1 small Zucchini (or 1/2 medium), peeled
2 cloves Garlic, with skin
1 handful fresh Cilantro, chopped
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
Pinch of ground Nutmeg, to taste
Pinch of ground Black Pepper, to taste
Pinch of Sea Salt (optional, I didn't use any)
Method of Preparation:
1. Place Fava beans and garlic (with skin) in a medium pan, cover with water and bring to a boil over medium heat.
2. After 10 minutes of boiling, add in zucchini (peeled and roughly chopped) and let it boil for another 6 to 8 minutes.
3. When zucchini is tender and Fava beans are tender-crispy remove from heat and drain. Remove skin from garlic (it should come off very easily).
4. Transfer cooked veggies to a serving platter or bowl and mash roughly using a fork. Leave some big chunks to make the texture more interesting.
5. Add in chopped cilantro and a pinch of nutmeg, black pepper and sea salt (optional). Drizzle lemon juice on top and give it a gentle stir to incorporate. Serve while hot and enjoy!
I hope you like this recipe! Please let me know if you try it and what are your feelings about Fava beans. I'd love to hear from you!